Tuesday, June 28, 2011

To Guidebook or Not To Guidebook?

I was never much of a guidebook carrying traveller.  I'm not quite sure why but if I had to guess I would say it goes back to my learning best through experience.  On a trip earlier this year to Buenos Aires, a really good friend put me onto Lonely Planet Travel Guides.  Since then I haven't gone anywhere for longer than a weekend without ordering one from their website.  In fact, I've been perusing the Russia edition for my trip to St. Petersburg at the end of the week.  They usually run decent sales for picking up more than one at a time, so if you know your travel plans in advance, grab a few at once and save yourself a few dollars.



I'll share what sold me.  We wanted to go see the tango, possibly take lessons but definitely experience it.  Paging through the Lonely Planet Guide she had brought along I found this description:

If tango can be trendy and hip, this is where you’ll find it. The grungy warehouse space is very casual, with funky art on the walls and jeans on the dancers. A great place to come to learn tango, especially if you’re young.

The place is called is called La Catedral (add: Sarmiento 4006 ph: 011-15-5325-1630).  It was superlative.  The place is grungy and old.  We picked up a 40 oz local beer, sat down at table that looked as if it had been there for 100 years and enjoyed locals of all ages skillfully plying their trade on the dance floor.  Couldn't have been better.  Never would've found that place without the Lonely Planet guide.

I also have to give Buenos Aires the highest marks for their ice cream.  I've eaten dessert on most continents but never tasted a better ice cream than Caramel & Peanuts at Un Altra Volta.  If you go to Buenos Aires without sampling it, you are selling yourself short. 

I'm a new disciple of the guide book and Lonely Plant does a great job compiling them.