Sunday, June 26, 2011

Welcome to the Hotel California

I will admit to having been somewhat jaded about Los Angeles.  Though I think the areas right around Malibu are some of the most beautiful in the world, the city itself just never spoke to me.  This weekend, however, was filled with the incredible. 

I have had the amazing good fortune to stay in amazing hotels around the world, and in my experience the very best have a distinguishable character.  Luxury is pleasant but it takes more for me to leave feeling the value matched the price (often steep and no less so here).  A friend mentioned the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood.  I had heard of it before but was by no means intimately familiar.




Marmont is supremely worthy of a five-star designation.  Steeped in celebrity history, the hotel has a very well balanced luxury, well short of opulence but well in excess of mere comfort.  The patina acquired through its storied past imbues in each guest a sense of being special by simply staying the night.  Marmont marries luxury with an anything goes mentality in the most unique of ways.  I did not go to the Bar Marmont, but the food in the lobby was extraordinary (recommend the lobster roll if you can lay hands on one).  I don't gush for celebrities, however, I did see John Krasinski (Jim from the office) entering the hotel on Saturday night.  I also have to give them the proper due for small things: the towels were bath sheets, the stationary personalized, the soaps Kiehl's, and snacks in the room were delicious and free. 

The property may be older, the pool may be mostly shaded, but don't let any of those things stop you.  If on your way to Los Angeles and possessing the means I can't say there's a better place to drop your suitcase than the Chateau Marmont.

I owe Los Angeles one additional nod.  I have a personal weakness for Mexican food.  El Carmen in Mid-City knocked me off my feet.  Between the three of us we sampled tacos, quesadillas, tamales, chips, salsa, guacamole and a healthy number of margaritas.  Each was better than the one before it.  I could say more but wouldn't do this place justice.  Even if you don't like Mexican food, give El Carmen a try anyway.  It could change your entire outlook.  Look for the neon sign, you can't miss it.  Delectable.

H7CR3F39H5Q4