Monday, September 5, 2011

Dear Delta, Retire the MD-88 Family





While boarding an MD-88 recently, I noticed the workman at McDonald Douglas had riveted a plate into the door frame that identified when the plane came off the line...1991. That is to say, that I have been flying on this fleet of planes for the material preponderance of my lifetime. They've served me well, carrying me for what must be hundreds of thousands of miles back and forth from Atlanta to domestic and Caribbean destinations. A true work horse. But, as with any great tool, eventually its utility will apex and for this family of planes that time has come.

I honestly enjoy the 3 x 2 seating arrangement in coach. It almost assured that I would never have to fly in a middle seat. Now, however, approximately 1 in 3 flights I am on with MD-88 equipment spend an extra 30 minutes or more at the gate while they either: fix the thrust reversers, replace a landing gear tire, correct an instrumentation problem, or whisper sweet nothings in her ear to get the engines to turnover. Not to mention, on the other end of the flight, about half the time upon landing when the pilot hits the brakes they scream as if being tortured by the cruelest dungeon master.

It has reached a point where I now check equipment while booking flights and if workable with my schedule, avoid flights serviced by MD-88s. It's not a safety thing. I don't believe if you knew they were mechanically unsafe you would fly them, I just don't have the patience for the near certain scheduling disruptions.

I believe I recently read a WSJ article that said you were planing substantial fleet purchases. I can only hope those purchases are meant to replace the MD-88 family, Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, Embraer...I don't care, anything that doesn't require a few extra hours of ground maintenance between flights will improve things markedly.
Just some unsolicited feedback from a regular Delta customer.