Monday, September 5, 2011

The Westin Palace Madrid


I was unsure what to expect of the Westin Palace Madrid.  It isn't that I lack respect for the Westin brand, but I wasn't sure it would stand up to the hype I had heard.  I reviewed a few pictures and decided to take the dive.  Neither the hype nor the pictures stood up.  They both grossly underestimated the property.  It truly deserves the name Palace. 

The rooms had an especial old world regal air about them, without sacrificing any modern comfort.  The staff were of course very attentive.  The location within Madrid is pretty central.  I will tell you what put me over the top though.  This hotel has the single best breakfast spread I have ever experienced.  My breakfast at home is usually pretty quick, if existent, Greek yogurt, raspberries, and a measure of cereal mixed together.  That notwithstanding, breakfast foods are some of my favorites.  There was absolutely nothing missing from this offering at the Palace.  I would return just for the breakfast, it was that good.

That being said, there is little to complain about at this property.  In fact, nothing comes to mind.  Cash in your Starwood Preferred Guest points, it's probably the best destination to do so, or just go and pay.  Either way, the Westin Palace Madrid is almost certain to be my temporary home on any future trips to Madrid.  I suggest you give it a try as well.