Monday, September 5, 2011

The Economist



My undergraduate degree is in Financial Economics.  That is not why I read The Economist.  In fact the economics in The Economist is relegated to a fairly short section near the back of US edition.  I read the magazine for context while travelling.

I've found it has the best scope and quality of international reporting among mainstream print media sources.  Day to day, I'm regularly bombarded with American media biases.  I find it enriching to digest some British media biases instead. 

On the whole, my guidance is simply provide yourself some context before you travel.  Understand what is happening in a place before you arrive.  Not to avoid riots or coups, though that can be a pleasant by product, but to better enjoy your destination.  I certainly enjoy my trips a lot more when I have some basis in local affairs and politics before arriving.  You should give it a try.