Sunday, September 4, 2011

US Citizens, You Can Register Travel Abroad, Should You

So, I've gotten way behind in posting, but I'm about to do some catch-up.

It certainly feels like the world is becoming increasingly less predictable: Arab Spring, British riots, major natural disasters.  My own world view holds that unpredictability is everywhere, and thus that I'm generally no safer at home than abroad.  So, I will continue to travel with reckless abandon.  That being said, I may leverage a service provided by the US Department of State more often.



One of the positive by products of being an American citizen is that if a country you're visiting falls apart, the US government will generally make a concerted effort to remove you from harm's way.  One step you can take to improve the Marines' chances for a successful extraction is to register your presence with the US Department of State.  You can do so here.  The program is called STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program).  It is a little tedious.  Hopefully you'll never need it, but depending on your destination...might be worth the trouble.