Monday, September 5, 2011

Longboat Key Club


AAA says Four Diamonds for the Longboat Key Club just outside of Sarasota, FL.  It's truly a nice property.  I wouldn't question AAA's grading in this case.  The rooms are a little aged but still nice and a good value.  The Gulf beach leaves little to be desired.  The golf course is pristine.  I would never discourage anyone from seeking a quiet beach vacation from giving it a try. 

I have to say though, that I just didn't feel at home there.  That may be the point of vacations, to not be at home, but I mean more in the sense that it simply didn't resonate with me.  I think it hearkens back to this story: I decided for the first time in my life to try a massage while I was on Longboat Key.  The timing was not spectacular.  I had a deep thigh bruise at the time.  I let the misuse know, and she was very good (this is no reflection upon her).  At one point though she grazed that bruise, and it shot a pain that went straight up my spine.  I literally jumped from the table in one fluid motion and let out a yelp, scaring that poor woman to death. 

It's a nice place for a quiet beach vacation.  I think, unfortunately, I've given myself a mental block on Sarasota.