Sunday, September 4, 2011

Trying Some New Airport Shoes

Closing in on accruing 200,000 Delta Medallion Qualification Miles over the last 12 months, I've slowly been honing my travelling to a very specific science.  One of the all together necessary but challenging aspects of modern air travel is airport security: take off your shoes, take off your belt, take your laptop and liquids out of your bag.  However necessary, it isn't the smoothest process in the world.

One of the things I've been honing is my passage through security.  One of the elements of that passage is shoe choice.  Here I face a conundrum.  Almost all of my travel either originates or terminates at Hartsfield in Atlanta.  My preference is to walk to my gate rather than take the train (like to fit in the exercise whenever I can while travelling).  Depending on the concourse that could mean a hike of a mile or more, so I would like comfortable shoes, but I also need them to slide on and off easily at security. 



I'm giving SeaVees sneakers a try and so far I'm a very satisfied consumer.  I went with the 5/65's pictured above (also available in a few other colors).  With a bar lacing, they easily slip on and off but are comfortable enough to make the Hartsfield march.  My style coach also gave the stamp of approval.  Who am I kidding, she actually originated the idea.

Even if you aren't subject to Hartsfield's distances, most air travel results in some walking.  Give your feet a break.