Monday, July 4, 2011

The American Express Platinum Card



If I'm being completely honest, I struggled with the decision to get an AMEX Platinum Card for quite a while.  The annual membership fee is $450, no small change.  Equally honestly, I wish I had done it sooner.  The travel benefits are a great value.  I will say what finally put me over the top, I saw a special offer for 50,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $1,000 on the card within three months, which I could convert into 75,000 Delta SkyMiles, 25,000 of which were MQMs, essentially paying the fee for almost the first 2 years of membership fees.  Special thanks to the Points Guy for bringing that one to my attention.

Some of the travel benefits that come with being an AMEX Platinum card holder:
  • Free lounge access on the airline you are flying the day of your flight
  • Free Priority Club Access (allows you into certain airport lounges around the world even if you aren't flying on that airline)
  • Automatic Gold Preferred Status in Starwood Preferred Guest Membership (have to call AMEX after you have your card to enroll)
  • Room upgrades, breakfast and resort credits at luxury hotels around the world when booked through AMEX travel (usually pretty competitive rates)
  • Free companion business class travel on qualified airlines when booked through AMEX travel (often less competitive rates - even at a 2-for-1 deal)
  • Fairmont President's Club Platinum Membership after 5 nights instead of 30
  • Annual refund of up to $200 in ancillary airline fees (baggage, etc)
  • Refund of Global Entry enrollment fee
These aren't all the benefits, and there are benefits beyond travel.  But I would say, even without the points offer that the AMEX Platinum Card ends up paying for itself if you familiarize yourself with all the benefits and take advantage, especially if you are a frequent traveller.