Friday, July 8, 2011

Swan Lake at the Alexandrinsky Theater St. Petersburg

In a bygone era I dated a girl whose good friend was in the ballet.  At that time I did enough studying of the ballet to be conversant at a very very basic level.  Last night, I reached into the deep memory banks for that knowledge while attending a performance of Swan Lake at the Alexandrinsky Theater. 


This is by no means a critique of the ballet, for that I am completely unqualified.  I will say from what I can recall the dancers for the most part were technically proficient.  I thought the set was magnificent, and the orchestra played a terrific set.  In any event, though it perhaps borders on the cheeseily stereotypical to attend a ballet in Russia, I had a really fantastic time, a lot of which was definitely the great company I shared it with.  There was a nice balcony where we enjoyed drinks and a view of the park below before the show and during intermissions. 

Not sure what will be showing if you find yourself in St. Petersburg, but the venue was enjoyable and the evening perfect.  I would highly recommend you try and take it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment