Saturday, July 16, 2011

Read your Destination

I cannot claim credit for this bit of travel wisdom, and confess that I am somewhat embarrassed that I'm only now embracing it.  The credit belongs to fellow traveller and one much smarter than I.  The idea is simple enough, prior to reaching your destination read something selected from your destination.



Not the Lonely Planet Guide, though I am a fan, but rather a piece of fiction from a native author.  Prior to travelling to Russia, my sager companion read The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.  I regrettably didn't partake until after returning, but even then it provided some amazing flavor and context.  In the future, I'm definitely setting aside some plane time to enjoy a bit of local fiction.  I would recommend the same for any traveller looking to enrich their journey.