Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Beast in Portland

If you'd asked me a year ago what I thought the food scene was like in Portland, Oregon, I imagine granola and organics would have been top of mind.  Portland is a great place this time of year.  All of the stereotypes of the northwest's weather fall away, leaving behind mid-70s temperatures and beautiful blue skies.  It is easy to see why people would suffer the winters.  The food scene, however, surprised me verily.  Beast being a perfect example. 




It's this great little place in NE (Portland is split into quadrants).  The food is amazing, and the atmosphere fantastic.  The best analogy I could provide would be a dinner party with good friends.  The menu is occasionally adventurous, so if taking a food-conservative dinner guest or two be prepared for double portions of some goodies.  The menu is fixed and paired with wines.  There are two seatings a night Wednesdays through Saturdays.  Definitely make reservations and don't be late.  Beast does command a price premium, but the value is there in my mind.