Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Deal to be Had At the Fairmont Empress (Victoria, BC)

I do not maintain a formal set of criterion for evaluating a hotel.  I'm sure that's one of many characteristics that will ensure this remains an amateur pursuit.  Anecdotally, however, one of the things that always strikes me is if I leave the hotel with a desire to purchase the things that fill my room, be they robes or pillows, bathroom amenities or the art from the wall.  I've never left a great hotel without wanting to take some piece (or all) of it with me.  Though, I've only stayed at two Fairmont properties in my life, both of them left me wanting to buy a slice of the experience on the way out.



As it the weather labors to make Atlanta uninhabitable, I went searching for great hotel deals in more pleasant climates.  I found a perfect example at The Empress, Fairmont's hotel in Victoria, British Columbia.  The rates start at $199 CAD nightly and include breakfast (in the restaurant or your room).  They do not specify an expiration, but note that the deal is subject to availability. 

I've never been to Victoria but have heard only positive things from those who have.  The local tourism website paints a compelling picture as well.  In search of refuge from the dual despots of heat and humidity, I may just be looking for a weekend to run to Victoria.