Friday, July 15, 2011

The Right Travel Watch

In a world of infinite resources, I would probably equip myself with the Patek Philippe World Time watch, but even if I was able, I would be extremely reluctant to travel with it. 


In the world of the slightly more practical, the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time allows you the opportunity to keep track of local time and the time at home for less than $2,000. 



NOTE: This watch was brought to my attention by and colleague and friend.  I cannot claim credit, though I do think it is worthy to be a member of the discussion as are many others probably.  The Baume & Mercier Classima GMT, has the travel functionality of an additional hour hand, is a little larger than the Tag at a similar price point. 



In a similar vein, but at a little higher price point, the Omega Seamaster GMT also offers a second hour hand that allows you to easily keep track of two time in two locales. 


I don't own any of these timepieces, though I have been investigating.  My trusty Baume & Mercier Capeland, a high school graduation present has served me well thus far.  I would definitely be leery of wearing $30,000 on my wrist while travelling the world, but something stylish that afforded me avoidance of constant addition and subtraction to get to home time may well be worth consideration.  These are four examples specifically geared towards the traveller, though the world is full of great watches.