Friday, July 8, 2011

Corinthia Hotel, St. Petersburg (Final Impressions)

Perspective is almost always the keystone in my mind.  On the planet, there are better hotels than the Corinthia Hotel, St. Petersburg without question.  I'm not sure that I can say in St. Petersburg there are better hotels than the Corinthia.  I haven't stayed in any others, but those that I walked around in were not above the Corinthia.



Generally, it has some really positive attributes.  The staff has been both friendly and helpful.  Its location on Nevsky Prospect is in the heart of where you'd want to stay if visiting the city.  The rooms are large (very large by European standards) and very comfortable to stay in.  There were some small touches that helped as well, the towels were bath sheets and I was very fond of the summerweight duvet. 

On the negative side, the water in the bathroom does smell like the river.  That being said, I don't have any reason to suspect that the water at every establishment in the city smells like the river.  I'm not certain I can blame the hotel for that.  Any other issue I've had has been promptly addressed.  Last night I ordered champagne in the lobby, which turned out to be flat.  It was promptly replaced without question. 

I harken back to a stay at a Marriott property in Moscow a few years ago, and I would easily put the Corinthia at par or above that hotel.  Though, I don't have great basis for comparison within St. Petersburg, if you find yourself in the city, I don't think you'd go wrong staying at the Corinthia.